10 Molasses Row, Plantation Wharf, York Road, London, SW11 3UX
Tel: +44 (0) 207 738 9383
Fax: 020 7738 9383
To promote the development within the professional interior design sector
The Society of British Interior Design is the industry bearer for professional interior design
Encouraging Professionalism – Protecting Consumers
Promoting the Whole Profession
WHAT IS SBID?
The Society of British Interior Design (SBID) was incorporated in April 2009 to equally represent the interests of manufacturers, practitioners and education. The objective of the Society is to promote the profession and in doing so at the highest level of competence and design bring protection to the consumer by creating a clear separation between those that are professional and those that are hobbyist or untrained.
SBID is the only interior design organisation within the UK to be inducted into the European Council of Interior Architects (ECIA) – the highest level of measured knowledge and best practice for interior design throughout Europe. Thus SBID is the industry bearer for professional British interior design, opening new markets for the UK where previously, due to a lack of standards, Britain had been excluded.
PROPOSALS AND OBJECTIVES:
- To enhance professional standards in the interior design sector and to promote best practice.
- To establish a UK-wide individual accreditation system for individual interior designers.
- To establish a continuing professional development programme for all members. To provide career guidance for members in various areas such as job applications, legal procedures for the provision of services and procurement advice including how to tender for commercial projects etc.
- To represent the interior design profession, lobbying and liaising with UK and EU government departments and agencies and other relevant bodies on key issues affecting the industry and interface with the media, trade associations and education establishments.
- To facilitate the exchange of views of members and generate feedback to SBID.
- Provides assurance to the public and confirms your company meets the high standard of Design Excellence.
- National and international networking opportunities.
- Introductions through the 15 European Council Member Countries of ECIA interior designers and architects.
- Invitation to business forums and networking events across Britain and throughout Europe.
- Access to Regional Events and the opportunity to promote directly to SBID members through special events and features, such as through our collaboration with in.Design magazine – a dedicated Interiors magazine with a readership of over 30,000.
- Receive regular updates and invites to international and national events.
- Receive one-to-one advice on Business Health & Safety legislation and responsibilities, and access one-to-one mentoring (throughout Britain) business banking advice from NatWest Bank regional branches.
- Commission an honorary business insurance risk assessment.
- Receive confidential Asset Finance advice and preferential membership rates
- Access to all interior design trade events throughout Britain and Europe linked to The Society.
- The opportunity to promote yourself to SBID designer members via the Members’ Portal on the SBID website.
- Display the registered symbol of SBID as a sign of Design Excellence, and to show your membership of the industry standard bearer.
- Be part of an ethical organisation and have your opinion voiced collectively. The Society of British Interior Design is represented at both House of Commons and the Bank of England.
SBID – the professional's choice