Beacon Planning Ltd is an independent planning, conservation and urban design consultancy offering a wide range of interlinked services focussed upon achieving high quality, cost effective and site specific solutions. Our experience and skills mean that we fully understand the complexities of securing consent for development in historic and sensitive environments.
Our core skills are planning, historic buildings, historic areas and urban design, but we bring these together in a coordinated way to maximise the benefits to all our clients.
When contacting this company, please mention you found them through www.projectbook.co.uk.
|Address:||7 Quy Court|
|View Map:||Click here to view a map of this location.|
|E-mail:||mail AT beaconplanning.co.uk|
|Job Value:||£1,000 - £100,000|
|Proficiency:||Pre 1919, Grade II, Grade II*, Grade I, Churches, Scheduled Monuments|
|Register Listings:||Heritage Consultants|
Historic Building Consultants
Historic Interior Consultants
Impact Assessments, environmental
Listed Building Consultants
|Title:||CAMBRIDGE FIRE STATION|
Continuity in a complex project and specialist planning expertise from Beacon Planning both played an important part in securing consent for Cambridge’s new fire station and mixed use development at Parkside which was given the go-ahead by the City Council in September 2010. Beacon Planning was appointed by Grosvenor Developments in December 2009 to secure planning permission to amend the previously consented scheme, but this was not the first of the firm’s input in to the project. Beacon had already worked on the Parkside development proposals as planning and heritage consultants, and secured the original planning permission in May 2007, following a successful public inquiry. The proposals, designed by Glenn Howells Architects, improved the development by modifications to the residential element which included reducing the number of apartments to 99, increasing their size, revising internal layouts and introducing some 3-bedroom properties. The scheme started on site in May 2011.
|Title:||EDGE HOTEL, WIVENHOE|
|Client:||University of Essex|
Beacon Planning provided planning and conservation advice on a £9 millionplus development scheme to create a luxury hotel and hotel school at the University of Essex which was given the go-ahead by Colchester Borough Council in October 2010. The project turns the Georgian, Grade II* Listed Wivenhoe House in Colchester into a fully operational country house hotel and the base for the Edge Hotel School. Working in conjunction with a range of consultants including Bond Bryan Architects, Beacon Planning co-ordinated the submission of the planning application and gave specialist advice on alterations to the existing building and the sympathetic design of the new extension in grounds which are registered as an Historic Garden.
|Title:||MANOR PARK, BLOFIELD|
Initially appointed to promote the site through Broadland Council’s LDF site allocations process, Beacon subsequently coordinated the submission of an outline planning application for up to 175 new homes, a maximum of 4000sqm of office space and associated open space for a site to the east of Norwich. Beacon led the project team in preparing all the necessary supporting documentation, managed the public consultation exhibition and prepared the Planning and Design & Access Statements. The application was submitted in August 2011 and is due for determination at the end of the year.
Beacon have been involved with the redevelopment of the area around Cambridge Station for over 10 years. In 2004 they became part of the design team led by Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners which secured outline consent for a mix of housing (331 dwellings, 1250 student units) offices (55294 sq m) shops and cafes, a polyclinic, workshop space, community facilities, a hotel, the creation of a transport interchange together with car and cycle parking and a major programme of external works. Beacon gave advice on the implications of development on listed buildings and the conservation area and prepared planning and supporting statements for a number of planning and conservation area consent applications, including the conversion of the Mill and Silo and the demolition of the buildings. In addition Beacon prepared technical chapters for the Environmental Statement, considered the effect of the proposals on the Cambridge skyline and devised the initial Public Art Strategy and secured external funding to appoint a lead artist. Our involvement with the site continues and we are collaborating with the developer and architects in the preparation of designs for specific buildings within the area.
|Title:||CAMBRIDGE AMERICAN CEMETERY|
|Client:||American Battle Monuments Commission|
The American Cemetery was formally dedicated in 1956 and is the only permanent American Second World War cemetery in Britain and is therefore of international importance. The grounds are listed at Grade I on English Heritage’s Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and the buildings and structures are Grade II* listed buildings. The proposed development will bring about significant improvements to the site, which has been virtually unaltered since the 1950s, and will include the erection of a new Interpretative centre and a new ‘facilities building’ to provide enhanced toilet accommodation. In addition there will be improvements to the existing ‘Visitor Building’, car parking areas and landscaping and paving works. Beacon was responsible for leading negotiations with English Heritage and South Cambridgeshire District Council and assisted in the liaison with the US Commission of Fine Arts who advised the clients the American battle Monuments Commission.
|Title:||GIRTON COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE|
Girton College was the country’s first female College and moved to its present site in Girton in 1873. The College developed in stages and was designed by three generations of the Waterhouse family. All the main college buildings are Grade II* Listed. The College requires 50 new student rooms so that all the undergraduates can be housed on campus together with an upgrading of its sports and social facilities. Beacon liaised with South Cambridgeshire District Council to ensure that the principle of a new building, to complete the fourth side of Ash Court, would be acceptable given its location in the Green Belt. The architects are Allies and Morrison and Beacon led discussions with English Heritage, SCDC and the Victorian Society to ensure that the new building fits the College brief whilst respecting and sitting comfortably with the fine legacy of Waterhouse-designed buildings.